Dr. Maruflu uses proven management protocol and non-surgical therapies for your TMD. She will inform you about the condition you have and your treatment will be designed based on your diagnosis. Dr. Maruflu utilizes a team approach and may involve other doctors or medical professionals in your treatment.
Your treatment will begin with a self-management therapy program tailored to your specific condition and needs. You will be educated about possible habits which you may be doing and taught techniques on how to avoid them. Dr. Maruflu may recommend intraoral orthotic appliance therapy and fabricate specific design for you, which will be custom made for you to address particular TMD you have to relieve symptoms you have. If needed, you will be instructed and taught to do stress-management techniques which will help reduce your stress and or anxiety levels.
You may be asked to see a psychologist to benefit from a biofeedback treatment. You will be instructed on how to do physical therapy modalities specifically for your TMD. Dr. Maruflu will determine whether a physical therapist can help your TMD symptoms. Physical therapists are trained professionals that help patients rehabilitate from many types of injuries. You may be recommended to have specifically tailored medical massage and therapy for your head and neck muscle pain. You may be advised to use natural remedies, follow anti-inflammatory diet or will be given a prescription medication if necessary to manage your specific TMD. The quality of our sleep will be assessed and addressed since sleep and pain are closely related. Dr. Maruflu, may do therapeutic injections if they are needed. In cases of jaw fracture, congenital problem, cancer or severe, constant pain or loss of function, surgery may be necessary and needed and Dr. Maruflu will refer you to oral surgeon to perform specific type of surgery.
- Eat softer foods
- Limiting your jaw opening during yawning or chewing, up to two fingers wide
- Resting your jaw muscles by avoiding heavy chewing on chewy, tough or hard foods such as bagels, nuts, certain meats, or candy
- Avoid playing musical instruments that strain your jaw or put pressure on your jaw
- Identify possible problems with sleep and working on a plan to improve your sleep
- Keeping a log of your specific pain and anything that you notice makes it better or worse
Habit avoidance and awareness techniques
- Avoid grinding and clenching your teeth by keeping them slightly apart and the jaw relaxed in “N” position
- Avoid leaning on your hand/hands which applies pressure on your yaw
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach
- Avoid chewing on items that are not food, for example: fingernails, pencils or toothpicks
- Avoid chewing gum or ice cubes
Stress management techniques
- Relaxation techniques
- Deep breathing techniques
- Meditation practices
- Guided imagery
Physical therapy modalities
- Using cold packs or moist hot compresses as instructed
- Pressure point techniques
- Performing jaw and neck stretches or exercises
- Working on good posture
- Head and neck medical massage
Intraoral Orthotic Appliance Therapy
There are several designs of intraoral orthotic appliance. Yours will be custom made and it’s design will depend on your specific condition and symptoms. It should be used the way Dr. Maruflu will advise you to use it.
There are a variety of therapeutic injections which may be helpful to relieve your symptoms. The injections are not the first line of defense, however, if and when necessary Dr. Maruflu may provide relief and treatment to your symptoms by performing the following types of injections:
- Nerve Blocks
- Joint and tendon injections
- Muscle trigger point injections
- Therapeutic Botox injections
Many medicines are available for discomfort. Some of these are natural remedies used for pain relief, while others are prescription medications to treat pain. Dr. Maruflu will provide you with a specific medication treatment plan if necessary to address your symptoms and specific condition you may have.
Sleep and pain are closely linked and impact each other. Proper sleep hygiene habits will be discussed and recommended. If needed sleep study will be recommended.
In cases of jaw fracture, congenital problem, cancer or severe, constant pain or loss of function, surgery may be necessary and needed.